The best eCommerce platform is the one that delivers the positive outcomes and goals you set for your company. When starting an eCommerce store, you always find it difficult to choose the right platform for a successful online store. Let’s take a closer look at BigCommerce vs WooCommerce in order to help you in making the right decision.
What is WooCommerce?
WooCommerce is an incredibly powerful e-commerce platform that works as a WordPress plugin. This means that you need to run a WordPress-powered website, onto which you can add an online store.
WooCommerce is an open-source e-commerce plugin for WordPress. Today, this e-commerce solution powers 28% of all online stores The plugin was officially released on September 27, 2011, and became extremely popular for its simplicity and customization. It was first developed by WordPress theme developer WooThemes. Over 3.8 million websites are currently using WooCommerce across the world.
Pros of WooCommerce:
- WooCommerce is the most customizable option for self-hosted WordPress sites. It provides almost infinite options for customization. It has a customization for every situation from hundreds of payment gateways to various shipping methods.
- WooCommerce is incredibly easy to use and install. This is perfect for people who are novices in this field.
- WooCommerce is a free and open-source platform, which makes it ideal for new startups and small businesses to create an online selling platform. It integrates well with WordPress, making it a powerful online tool.
- As WordPress themes work with WooCommerce stores, so there’s a huge selection to choose from. They are easier to edit and tailor. Plus, they are cheaper too.
- WooCommerce software offers multiple built-in payment gateways. Customers can either pay by direct bank transfer, check payment or cash on delivery.
Cons of WooCommerce:
- You have to keep the WordPress plugin up to date with your current browsers.
- It ends up being more expensive due to plugins, themes, and hosting.
- It requires you to be familiar with WordPress and WooCommerce to make web design changes.
- As there is no direct WooCommerce support team so it gets a little complicated to find the solution to your problem via forums or online guide.
What is BigCommerce?
BigCommerce started in 2009, and is currently powering around 100,000 stores across the globe. It is called Software as a Service (SaaS) or all-in-one eCommerce platform. It comes with an entire package of services including hosting, design, content, SEO, payments, and marketing features needed for an eCommerce store.
It offers an intuitive user interface, extensive features and a simple user-friendly platform. Which includes dozens of beautiful themes and a great customer support. BigCommerce also provides extra tools to boost traffic on your website.
Pros of BigCommerce:
- It is a hosted platform and you don’t have to worry about the technical aspects such as downtime, backups, storage, security. You can later scale your site by getting a higher plan with BigCommerce.
- BigCommerce SEO is good and you’ll be able to customize your title tags, meta-descriptions and URL.
- This platform is incredibly easy to use and can even start with a free, 15-day trial.
- It lets you integrate and sell across multiple channels such as Facebook, Amazon, QuickBooks, eBay, etc. You can easily process all your orders from a single location.
- The customers’ database provides a lot of information on every client. So you can get to know your audience very well.
- By using BigCommerce’s mobile App, various store management functions can be carried out such as order processing, inventory management, report analysis, etc.
Cons of BigCommerce:
- Even though it offers great features and a friendly layout, BigCommerce doesn’t offer a free plan or a cheap entry-level plan
- Editing tools can be a little confusing and complex for beginners
BigCommerce vs. WooCommerce: Pricing
BigCommerce has three core pricing plans:
- Standard – $29.95 per month
- Plus – $79.95 per month
- Pro – $249.95 per month
- Enterprise – prices depends according to your business needs
WooCommerce is a free plugin and it has most of what you need to get a basic e-commerce store to set up and running. But it requires a lot of add-ons to start selling online. For example, you’ll need to purchase separate hosting, a domain name, any extensions you want and an SSL certificate.
Factors to Consider When Choosing an Ecommerce Platform:
Before making a choice between BigCommerce vs WooCommerce there are a number of important things to consider.
- Easy to Use
- Payment Options
While both platforms have their merits and flaws, it essentially comes down to your business model. If you are running a small business with a limited budget and little development experience, WooCommerce is definitely the way to go. It does just the job of selling simple products and can be significantly enhanced with the help of numerous plugins and extensions available.
BigCommerce is considered as the best shopping cart software for large and fast growing enterprises. It offers out of the box features. With the help of BigCommerce development agency you can take your eCommerce store to the next level.