As you are well aware of the fact that GRE is a graduate record examination consisting of 3 sections-Analytic Writing, Verbal Reasoning, and Quantitative Reasoning. Verbal Section is the segment that tests your language skills. So here we will discuss about how to increase and enhance the GRE vocabulary.
Tips for GRE vocabulary section
- At first, take a practice test and review it. You will get to know where are you lagging. This can make you understand how much practice in this section is required by you. Study accordingly.
- Read – Start reading more and more books, newspapers, or magazines. Focus on the content and notice the words which you do not know. Write them. Look for their meaning. This will help you in having a large pool of words. Reading is a very good strategy to build your vocabulary to a large extent.
- Make your own meanings – When you get the meaning of the words which you don’t know, start remembering it in your own way. Make your own definition without looking into a dictionary. It will help you in memorizing the words.
- Flashcards – Flashcards is one of the best approaches to learn new words. On the backside of the card, write a word you want to know. If you are facing difficulty in pronunciation, write its pronunciation under it. By doing this, you will get to know the correct usage of the word and how to use it with confidence. On the other side of the card, compose a short, effectively justifiable definition. The use of flashcards will make your learning more interesting. Try it and you will definitely get good results.
- Saying the words loudly – It may sound as insane, but saying words out loud will help you memorize them. You would be surprised to know that by doing this, the words will be etched in your memory for a long time. This tip is also favorable.
- Visualizations – Utilize your creative mind to make a mental picture to fix an unknown word in your brain. The more different the picture, the better. For instance, in case you’re attempting to recall the word ravenous, which means having a craving for action or interest, picture a starving lion eating enormous heaps of food. The ravenous lion will assist you with recalling the significance of the word. Therefore it is a very effective method to add more and more words to your vocabulary.
- Find a study mate – Learning vocabulary with a friend makes this difficult task more enjoyable. You can play as it one person will say the word, and others will tell its meaning. You can play the other way as well-you can define the meaning, and say the other person to tell the words that mean the same. This will create a healthy competitive environment.
To recapitulate, these are some of the tips which you can use to build up your vocabulary very well and get an excellent score in this section.