“Womaniya on GEM” has been launched by the GeM portal to pane to help women self-help groups (WSHGs) and women professor to sell their own made products or many other products.
The fully state-owned portal of government (GeM) is instituted under the protection of commerce ministry and industry .This initiative will help businesswomen to achieve integrated economic growth.
What is Womaniya on GeM?
To put it simply, ‘Womaniya on GAM’ (government e-marketplace) is an initiative launched by The Central Government that has taken these steps to encourage women professor and women self-help, groups.
“The pane provides a digital platform on which women can sell some products directly to various ministries, institutions and departments, these products are as follows:
- Handmade products
- Jute products,
- Organic food and spice products,
- Home decor and office furniture etc.
Why is Womaniya required?
Speaking about the need for Womaniya, GeM S CEO Radha Chauhan stressed that about 80 percent of women-owned establishments in the country are self-financed. Also, more than 60 percent of the 8 million units are headed by socially vulnerable women entrepreneurs of society.
As women invest up to 90 percent of their income to provide better nutrition, health care and education to their children, it is a step towards economic empowerment and poverty alleviation of women.
With Womaniya, the government aims to market these women entrepreneurs and increase their income.
Government e-Marketplace (GeM) has launched the ‘Womaniya on GeM’ initiative.
- The objective of this initiative of GeM is to assist women entrepreneurs and women self-help groups through various government ministries, departments, and institutions in direct selling of handicrafts and hand looms, accessories, jute products, home furnishings.
- This initiative of GeM will help women entrepreneurs achieve integrated economic growth.
- The home page of the Womaniya website will have information about the services of women entrepreneurs for various ministries, departments and central public sector enterprises (CPSEs) and campaigns to promote the sale of daily use items.
- The United Nations will increase Womaniya economic opportunities on GEM for women entrepreneurs to help achieve the 5 aims and objectives of sustainable development – ‘Achieving gender equality and empowering all women and girls’.
Key facts of Womaniya
The goal of this initiative is to provide an opportunity for gender-inclusive economic development to the women entrepreneurs of the deprived sections of society.
Under this scheme, enterprising women and women of self-help groups will be able to sell handicrafts, handloom products, jute and coconut fiber products, and home decor and office items directly to various government ministries, departments, and institutions.
What is GEM?
GeM or government e-marketplace is a 100 percent government-owned company. It is established by the Union Ministry of Commerce and Industry. The objective behind this is to procure goods and services of common use by various ministries and departments of the central government.
The GeM was founded in 2016 and has a product range of 731,431. The GeM has more than 32,114 government buyers and 1.80 lakh registered sellers who have GeM Registration.
The ministry says that GeM has processed 11, 71,761 orders worth Rs 16,976 crore since its inception. Government e-marketplace (GeM) is a government portal established under the Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
The short form of government e-marketplace is GeM, where general user goods and services can be purchased. The GeM is a dynamic, automated, user-friendly portal for purchase by government officials