A Digital Signature Certificate is a digital edition of a document or a physical certificate. This credential can be submitted electronically as evidence of the identity of the applicant. It can also be used to obtain access to internet resources or the information and to sign papers electronically.
The key aim of the Digital Signature Stamp, or DSC, as it is called in its abbreviated form, is to determine the identity of the person at the time of electronic filing of records. It’s the digital equivalent of an individual’s standard handwritten signature. When it comes to the enrolment of businesses, limited liability partnerships (LLPs), overseas companies, and foreign limited liability partnerships (FLLPs), the enrolment application would need to be signed electronically using DSC. In this article, we will learn DSC Registration on GST Portal – All You Need To Know
The important need for a Digital Signature Certificate, or DSC, as it is commonly known in its abbreviated form, is to determine the identity of an individual at the time of filing electronically, i.e. online on the popular GST portal. It is thus the digital variant of a person’s normal hand-written signature. It is used in the incorporation of corporations, Limited Liability Partnerships (LLPs), domestic companies, and overseas limited liability partnerships (LLPs). Applications for registration are considered mandatory and must be signed online by the use of the Digital Signature Certificate (DSC).
Who’s using the DSC?
The below is a list comprising the constitution and the persons from the charter who may sign documents by the use of the DSC:
- Owner – Proprietor
- Hindu Undivided Kin (HUF)-Karta
- Partnership – Managing Partners
- Trust Registration – Controlling Trustees
- LLP/Company – Approved Signatories, with due authorization from the LLP/Company Board
- Society, club – Approved signatory, with due authorization from the Control Committee.
- Statutory body – Approved signatories
- Local government – Approved signatories
- Government Agency – Approved Signatories
How can I get a DSC?
A DSC can be issued to individuals by any certifying authority in the world. Therefore in order to receive a DSC, the individual is required to fill in the appropriate application form and to insert the supporting documentation as required. In addition, a certain fee is expected to be paid for the purchase of the DSC. DSCs may be issued by the Certifying Authorities as they are authorized under Section 24 of the Indian IT-Act, 2000. Class 2 or Class 3 credentials can be issued from either of the authorities mentioned below:
- IDRBT Certifying Authority
- Tata Consultancy Services
- Code Solutions
- National Informatics Center
- SafeScrypt CA Services
- Sify Communications Ltd.
Registration of the Digital Signature Credential on the GST Portal
Prior to registering the DSC on the GST portal, individuals must install a software program called emSigner. In order to download this tech utility, individuals would need to browse the Register DSC page of the Popular GST Portal. Both private limited companies, public limited companies, international companies, unrestricted companies, public service companies, limited liability partnerships, and foreign limited liability partnerships are eligible to receive a DSC.
- Open a web browser on your PC, laptop, tablet, or mobile computer and visit the common GST portal https:/www.gst.gov.in/.
- Click the Login button at the top right, type your login information (username and password) and click the Login button. You would then be able to use the GST Dashboard. Click the Continue button on the alert that will appear on your phone.
- After signing in to your GST Dashboard, click on the name of your user at the top right and pick My Profile from the drop-down column. You’re going to be routed to your profile page.
- You can register (if new) or upgrade (if existing) DSC with your DSC USB token. To continue with DSC registration, press the Register/Update DSC option under Fast Links. You’re going to need to connect your DSC USB token.
- When you press the Register/Update DSC button on your My Profile page, you will see the Register Digital Signature Certificate page on your phone.
- Now, pick the Authorized Signatory from the Authorized Signatory PAN drop-down list-box that you want to register and press the Proceed button.
- Then, press the Pick Certificate button and click the Sign option again. Your digital signature will be recorded in a moment’s time.
- Finally, you will get a message that states “Your DSC has been successfully registered.” This will validate the registration of your Digital Signature Certificate (DSC) on the GST portal.
Updating DSC on the GST Portal
- Visit the popular GST portal https:/www.gst.gov.in/through a web browser on your PC, laptop, tablet or mobile computer.
- Click the Login button at the top right and enter your correct GST login information.
- Please click the My Profile page.
- Click the button “Register/Update DSC”
- You will be routed to the Register Digital Signature Certificate tab, where you will need to press the Approved Signatory PAN drop-down list box.
- Choose the PAN of the approved signatory that must be registered.
- Click the “Update” tab.
- You will be prompted to check that you wish to re-register your DSC. Please press the Proceed tab.
- Choose your certificate and press the Sign button.
- The computer will display a warning that says DSC has been changed successfully.